Town Halls and sleep disorders

I attended a town hall session today. I don't remember how many such sessions I must have attended in my over 15 years of professional life. One common thread that runs through such sessions is the eagerness of the executives to talk, just talk. 

Many times I have wondered how they manage to speak so much while I can't. I can only tell myself that it's the reason why I'm at the receiving end. 

The irony, however, is that I did get my opportunity to speak to a set of hapless few who happened to be led by me. Guess what? None gave a crap. Life went on, maybe even turned worse with some guys not even completing their work. I went back to all those notes I had made when I was listening to executives and checked if I had said something different, but, no I hadn't. Ok that was a bit exaggerated, I didn't make any notes and all. However the point being so much is spoken in these meetings and it falls on ear drums that reflect it away much faster. 

Just ask a question to someone right in the middle of any meeting and if he/she says "could you please repeat the question", you know that you were speaking to the wall all the time. 

Yet, we are subjected to meetings and speakers day in and day out (is DIDO a cousin of GIGO, anyways..). We are also "groomed" to speak in a similar manner like it is a tradition of sorts. We have accepted it as the norm. Office meetings are like this only, someone has to talk, many have to sleep it over with eyes open or shut, if lucky. So let's get on with it. 

The most frenzied part is when the town hall is getting over and audience has to ask questions. The sudden display of enthusiasm by some of my brethren during those moments is nonpareil. 
The unprecedented usage of jargons, that makes the sentence heavy like a polar bear, is just amazing considering he/she just woke up. It is an art in itself. I wonder if they were attending the town hall in their dreams as well. Maybe they dreamt about going on a date with this hot girl who spouts jargons only
"Hi Suraj, I am happy that we see synergies in each other's capabilities and personalities which could focus on our bottom lines and consequently arouse our respective scrips into stratospheric ecstasies and fantasies. The changes could make the road ahead bumpy in the bed, but, I'm sure we will emerge with flying...."

Ok, that's not a dream, it's a nightmare. I guess that's why I don't sleep during such meetings. I might notice the way the speaker has a wig or the way her locks fall over her shoulders or the way they lean on the podium or their teeth, some stained, some broken. They seem to be exposing themselves to us in those moments. Otherwise, we may have never noticed them. Another guy or girl passing by us. During such meetings, however, they are trying to communicate so hard, while exposing themselves with all their imperfections. That is a very cathartic experience, I guess. 

Anyways, all you people out there making presentations and town Halls, continue doing what you do and help us commonfolk sleep better. 

Comments

sowpar said…
jargon loaded speeches = giyo. - gyan in, yawn out.

Keep filling the kroocible. πŸ‘πŸΌ
Suraj said…
Thanks Sowpar... πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚